First Aid at Work (Refresher) – Course Syllabus
This course is for students that have volunteered to be a nominated First Aider within the work place and currently hold a first aid at work certificate. (Evidence of this must be provided on the course)
This course will suit any member of staff within the work place.
The Objectives / Learning Outcome For This Course Will Be:
- An Approved Programme
- First Aid at Work (Refresher) Syllabus
There is a maximum of 12 places available.
Course Name: First Aid at Work (Refresher)
Course Times: 09.30 – 16.30.
Validation of Certification: 3 years.
Course Duration: 2 full days.
On completion of training, successful candidates should be able to:
Provide emergency first aid at work and administer first aid to a casualty with:
- Injuries to bones, muscles and joints, including suspected spinal injuries
- Chest injuries
- Burns and scalds
- Eye injuries
- Sudden poisoning
- Anaphylactic shock
- Recognise the presence of major illness and provide appropriate first aid (including heart attack, stroke, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes).
understand the role of the first aider including reference to:
- The importance of preventing cross infection;
- The need for recording incidents and actions;
- Use of available equipment
- Assess the situation and circumstances in order to act safely, promptly and effectively in an emergency;
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is unconscious (including seizure);
- Administer cardiopulmonary resuscitation;
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is choking;
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is wounded and bleeding;
- Administer first aid to a casualty who is suffering from shock;
- Provide appropriate first aid for minor injuries (including small cuts, grazes and bruises, minor burns and scalds, small splinters)
A First Aider Will Have
- Good reliability, disposition and communication skills
- An aptitude and ability to absorb new skills and knowledge
- An ability to cope with stressful and physically demanding emergency procedures
- Normal duties in the workplace that can be left, to respond immediately and rapidly to an emergency
The final assessment will determine a student’s ability to act safely, promptly and effectively when an emergency occurs at work and to deal with a casualty who:
- Is unconscious
- Requires cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- Is wounded and bleeding
There is also a short Multi Choice Paper with a pass mark.
All students will receive a course book and certificates will be forwarded upon successful completion of the course.
There will be practical on the course so appropriate clothing will be needed. (i.e. you will be on the floor taking part in role play situations).
This award is suitable for the nominated first aider in your setting and is suitable for low, medium and high risk areas; how ever this is always determined by an appropriate risk assessment by a competent person.
You will be expected to take full part in all the practical during the course and assessment; not to take part in the practical may hinder your ability to be assessed.
Did your Know?
We also run this course at our training centre in Warrington. You can book any course we run at our training centre online through our website. Click the button below to view all of our training centre courses.
Book This Course
You can book this course at your premises or a venue of your choosing, we can train a maximum of 12 of your staff per course. Please contact us by click the button below.