1.Steak on a black eye??
So,we’ve all heard this one right……..
Putting raw steak on a black eye!The only thing to come from this is possible contamination of the eye with bacteria that may be on the steak already. Although the cold temperature of the steak may help to reduce any swelling,Ice works just fine. If you insist on pulling something out of the kitchen freezer, try a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a clean tea towel.
2.Butter on a burn??
Food and First aid, What is going on?
So putting butter onto a burn will in fact only make things worse, leave them in the kitchen. Butter or Oils hold in the heat, exactly the opposite of what a burn victim needs. Plus, anything that you put on will probably need to be removed in A & E and this may well hurt. Cold running water is your best friend in a burn situation. Butter and oil are left best for cooking the above steak that you won’t be using for your black eye!!
3.Tilting the head back for a nosebleed!
NO NO NO NO NO!
Tilt that bloody nose forwards!! When someone is having a nosebleed, tilting their head back may actually cause blood to enter their airway or stomach, which can lead to possible choking or at the very least make someone feel quite sick. The best way forwards is to pinch the soft part of their nose and lean forwards!Keep pinching for about 10 minutes. If the bleeding continues for more than 30 minutes its advised to seek medical attention.
4. Putting something into someone’s mouth whilst having a seizure
You have heard the old adage about putting an object in someone’s mouth if they are having a seizure to stop them biting their tongue.
The truth is that doing this could cause further injury. Do not restrain the person having a seizure, use a blanket or piece of clothing to protect their head from injury and after the seizure, help the person to rest on their side with their head tilted back.
5.Make some one sick when they have swallowed something poisonous!
Is it better out than in ???…..
NO, making someone sick who has swallowed a poisonous substance may cause more harm than good, it may cause damage to their throat or even block their airway. If it is a corrosive the liquid will burn their throat on the way back up causing pain and distress.The best thing to do is find out what they have taken, when and how much, then call 999 or go straight to A&E.